Tuesday, August 3, 2010

As part of thinking

I rarely blogged about my schoolwork and career. Perhaps just about rushing assignments and stuff. Maybe not so deep cuz I just don't say it out. Here's to share:

Look Closer - See Me

What do you see, nurses, what do you see?
Are you thinking when you are looking at me -
A crabby old woman, not very wise,
Uncertain of habit, with far-away eyes,
Who dribbles her food and makes no reply
When you say in a loud dvoice, "I do wish you'd try."
Who seems not to notice the things that you do,
And forever is losing a stocking or shoe.
Who unresisting or not, lets you do as you will,
With bathing and feeding, the long day to fill.
Is that what you are thinking; is that what you see?
Then open your eyes, nurse, YOU'RE NOT LOOKING AT ME!
I'll tell you who i am, as I sit here so still,
As I live at your bidding, as I eat at your will,
I'ma small child of ten with a father and mother;
Brother and sisters, who love one another;
A young girl of sixteen with wings on her feet,
Dreaming that soon now a lover she'll meet;
A bride soon at twenty - my heart gives a leap,
Remembering the vows that I promise to keep;
At twenty-five now I have young of my own;
Who need me to build a secure, happy home.
A woman at thirty, my young now grow fast;
Bound to each other with ties that should last.

At forty, my young sons have grown and have gone,
But my man's beside me to se I don't mourn.
At fifty once more babies play 'round my knee,
Again we know children, my loved one and me.
Dark days are upon me, my hubsand is dead.
I look at the future, I shudder with dread
For my young are still rearing young of their own,
And I think of the years and the love that I've known.
I'm an old woman now and nature is cruel -
'Tis her jest to make old age look like a fool.
The bod it crumbles, grace and vigor adepart,
There is now a stone where I once had a heart.
But inside this old carcass a young girl still dwells.
And now and again my battered heart swells,
I remember the joys, I remember the pain,
And I'm loving and living life over again.
I think of the years all too few - gone too fast;
And accept the stark fact that nothing can last.
So open your eyes, nurses, open and see,
Not a crabby old woman - look closer - SEE ME.

- written by an unknown old woman before she died in a geriatric hospital in Scotland.
retrieved: http://www.inthenameofthemother.com/doc/ElderAbuseBooklet%20Singapore.pdf

Makes you think, huh? (: I'll be thinking again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment